ADSM-L

Re: Disaster-Recovery, Tapes Vanishing!

1999-04-30 05:57:36
Subject: Re: Disaster-Recovery, Tapes Vanishing!
From: Geetam Van Der Dussen <geetam AT SCOTPROV.CO DOT UK>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 10:57:36 +0100
Friends

I have trouble with tapes too, but I am inclined to think that we have our
procedures (and sequence of events) not quite right yet. It is getting
better, it seemed to happen specially over the weekend (daily DBBackup, but
off-site movement only on weekdays)

I am curious about the statement Scott made: I have checked my "DB Backup
Series Expiration Days" in DRM status (5 days). Where do I find how long
ADSM keeps DBBackup tapes?

Regards
     Geetam

> Date:    Thu, 29 Apr 1999 11:24:33 -0400
> From:    Scott Fluegge <sfluegge AT VENATORGROUP DOT COM>
> Subject: Re: Disaster-Recovery, Tapes Vanishing!
>

> Cindy,
>
> What is your "DB Backup Series Expiration Days" set to?  (you can find
> this  by using the command: "q drmst".  If that is set to 5 or more days,
> the tape will vanish.  That is because you are telling the drmedia
> manager to hold it longer than ADSM is.  It will never be put in the
> vault retrieve state.
>
> What I do is run delete volhist type=dbbackup todatae=today-12 and set my
> "DB Backup Series Expiration Days" to 7 days.  This puts the tapes in the
> vault retrieve state for 5 days which gives me some breathing room.  This
> said, I am still having tapes vanish.  Some are DB Backups, some are not.
>
> Scott

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This message is confidential and for the use only
of the intended recipient.  If you receive the message in error you are not
entitled to disseminate, copy or use the contents in any way.  In such
circumstances please forward the message back to the sender or contact
Scottish Provident Institution by telephone on 0131 556 9181.