ADSM-L

SQL Connect Agent Ideal

1999-04-29 14:22:35
Subject: SQL Connect Agent Ideal
From: "Norrgard, Nathan" <NNorrgard AT LIBERTY-BANK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:22:35 -0400
I am running SQL Connect Agents in my mixed SQL 6.5 / 7.0 environment, on
ADSM 3.1.2.20 on NT 4.0 SP3.

What I am wondering is, regarding the new ADSMSUTODELETE capability, is
there a way to mark a database to be kept?  I am sure there is not, however,
I was recently in a situation where this would have been good.

A month and a half ago, I was directed to upgrade our HR server to SQL 6.5
SP4 to SP5a.  (I know what you are thinking, but I said I was directed,
didn't I?)  The upgrade worked and I observed no issues for the next few
weeks.

Then, the master database went down.  No problem, right?  Run SQL Setup,
rebuild the Master DB, start SQL in single-user mode, and restore via the
Connect Agent.  Right out of the book.  I had actually done this before, so
I wasn't worried.  I told HR they would be down for an hour - just to be
safe - and started the process.

No go.

I could not, regardless of what I did, restore the master.I tried at least 6
different ways.  The starnge thing was, as I said before, I had done this
before, to the same server, actually.  ( I had moved the SQL server to a new
NT box a few weeks before I applied SP5a, so I had done this process.)

So, it was not difficult to realize that this was related to SP5a.  It was
the only thing that had changed.  Now I knew I was in trouble.

Fortunately, I had not yet utilized the AUTODELETE function, and had been
rather lazy the last few weeks, I still had a copy of the Master from 3.5
weeks earlier that I had backed up immediately before apllying SP5a.

I removed SQL from the NT box, re-installed it.  Applied SQL 6.5 SP4, and
restored the Master.  It worked!  I was able, then, to restore the
production databases from the night before.

Basically, the only reason I managed to pull this off is because I had
inadvertantly maintained a copy of the database that I normally woudn't
have.

So, to bring this home, while i am very excited about the AUTODELETE
capabilities, I feel that it would be advantaeous to somehow be able to mark
databases to be excluded from the AUTODELETE.  "Delete all database backups
older than 14 days, except for this one..."

OR...

A Connect Agent Archive capability like the ADSM Backup / Archive client.

Intrigued?

Nathan J. Norrgard
Systems Administrator
Liberty Bank