ADSM-L

Re: Exchange agent reporting

1999-04-28 10:35:41
Subject: Re: Exchange agent reporting
From: Nathan King <nathan.king AT USAA DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 09:35:41 -0500
Stefan,

I wrote a backup script which checks the errorlevel after the excdsmc
command is executed, this errorlevel could then be passed onto our
scheduling package Contol M. Unfortunately this did not function as
intended. The Connect Agent often outputs an errorlevel of 0 when a backup
has failed. I opened up an ETR on this and an APAR was generated.

APAR # IC23616

EXCHANGE CONNECT AGENT GIVES SUCCESSFUL RETURN CODE IF THE
EXCHANGE ERROR NUMBER RETURNED IS UNKNOWN.

However after talking with IBM support about this I'm not sure how this one
is going to be resolved.

I was under the impression that the Connect Agent would be able to output an
equivalent errorlevel at the command interpretor for the backup error
encountered. The Win32 BA Client already does this.

I therefore purposefully made the Connect Agent fail by introducing errors
into the dsm.opt file such as incorrect nodename or incorrect
tcpserveraddress. These generated the appropriate error message in the
connect agent error log. i.e. ANS1353E (RC53)   Session rejected: Unknown or
incorrect ID entered and ANS1017E (RC-50)  Session rejected: TCP/IP
connection failure.

However in each case the errorlevel returned at the Command interpretor was
Errorlevel306. (Funnily enough if you cancel a session half way through the
backup which again causes a ANS1017E (RC-50)  Session rejected: TCP/IP
connection failure, the connect agent returns error level 0)

IBM support indicated that this resulted from the last known error within
the ADSM/EXCHANGE API conversation.

I'm wondering now if it's going to be possible for the developers to be able
to code in something whereby the actual ADSM/EXCHANGE error is held in a
variable which is in turn output at the command interpretor level.

Nathan