ADSM-L

Re: Exabyte 210 & Mammoth drives

1999-04-27 14:29:26
Subject: Re: Exabyte 210 & Mammoth drives
From: Donald Coleman <coleman AT POST.QUEENSU DOT CA>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 14:29:26 -0400
We are currently using IBM's Mammoth Technology Offering (7331-305). The
drives are manufactured by Exabyte and, as I understand it, are the same as
are in the Exabyte Libraries (220, 440, etc.).

In my humble opion, the technology is garbage. While the capacity and data
transfer rates are good, the reliability is disgusting.

We began converting these drives from 8mm 7GB technology (7331-205) to
Mammoth in December 1997. In a little over a year, we have had to replace 3
drives because of failures. I have had about 10 tapes become completely
unreadable. I am currently cleaning these drives daily.

We used the 7GB dirves for close to 3 years. While the drives seemed to wear
out after a year's usage and had to replaced, the media remained readable.
In the 3 years, I only lost 2 tapes (both got tangled in the drive).

We are currently in the market for new libraries to expand our storage.
Given our experience with the Mammoth technology, I have ruled out that
option and we are looking at either AIT or DLT.

   Don Coleman,
   Queen's University Information Technology Services
   Kingston, Ont. Canada  K7L 3N6
   Tel: (613) 533-2034  Fax: (613) 533-2168
   Email: Coleman AT Post.QueensU DOT CA