ADSM-L

Re: Backups of DEVICE CONFIG data and VOLUME HIST data

1999-04-22 14:05:12
Subject: Re: Backups of DEVICE CONFIG data and VOLUME HIST data
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 13:05:12 -0500
     Ahhhh but if you define an admin and grant it ZERO authority
     (basically makes it only good for queries) then it really won't
     matter.

     you can do something like:
        register admin public public
     then use that id in situations such as below... plus you can make that
     id generally available to the public.  I'd much rather have an end
     user connect to an adsm server and see there are 100 other sessions
     active and that might be why their session is running a little slow,
     on their own rather than wake me up at 3AM to check for them ;-)

     Dwight

Author:  borrmann (borrmann AT IBM1.RUF.UNI-FREIBURG DOT DE) at unix,mime
Date:    4/22/99 2:05 AM

Hello,

>      OR you may just start an admin session from any client and do...
>
>      dsmadmc -serv=blah -id=blah -pass=blah q devc f=d </dev/null
>         >/path/file
>
>      and the same for the volhist basically...
>
>      either way....

I wouldn't do that on any client, only on clients where I am shure that
no one else has access (but who knows that). The reason is that this
command is written to your shell history file, I assume a Unix client.
So the password is for some time in clear text in a file.

|H.G.Borrmann                           |Tel.: (0761) 203-4652            |
|Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg|Fax:  (0761) 203-4643            |
|Hermann-Herder-Str. 10                 |email:                           |