ADSM-L

Re: Internal error LOGSEG871

1999-04-21 08:31:39
Subject: Re: Internal error LOGSEG871
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:31:39 -0400
I'm disappointed to see ADSM customers writing in saying that they don't
use Roll-Forward mode anymore.  The purpose of Roll-Forward is to treat the
ADSM database as a true database, and not treat it as a simple file to be
restored to some point in time and hope the company can reproduce all its
lost work after that point.  In a very competitive economy, I don't know of
many companies that can afford to lose time or jeopardize their corporate
data - which is what ADSM is there to safeguard.

Customers seem to be avoiding Roll-Forward mode "because it requires a huge
recovery log".  It should not if you schedule regular full and incremental
database backups, which clear the log and are relatively fast to run.  The
DBBackuptrigger is there as a safeguard rather than a normal means of
achieving the backups.

Employing ADSM mirroring will certainly help reduce the number of occasions
where you will need to perform a recovery.  But having come from a database
administrator background, I purposefully run with Roll-Forward in addition
to mirroring.  There's no morbid feeling like the one where your database
is down and service restoration will be protracted - or data will be lost -
because you as the responsible technician made a fairly arbitrary decision
that you would not avail yourself of an available safeguard.  Remember that
it is easy to miss seeing the ADSM mirroring suddenly stop (as when the
server is rudely restarted), and thus have your one safeguard gone without
your knowledge.

ADSM is all about data safety, and so we should do all we can to assure that
ADSM itself is safeguarded.

   Richard Sims, BU