ADSM-L

ADSM API; admin client questions

1999-04-20 09:22:49
Subject: ADSM API; admin client questions
From: Bacchi Matt VENDOR <v2bacchi AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:22:49 -0400
Both the ADSM API and the X/Open API do not contain the capability to
do administrative tasks.  Does anyone know of a better interface to commands
that require System Privilege than the 'dsmadmc' command?  Quite frankly the
output from this command is difficult to parse, and seems to change without
warning in each new release.  I guess I'm also looking for a statement from
ADSM development about whether or not this functionality will be added to
future releases.

Along the same vein, does anyone know if command strings entered into the
administrative command line client are encrypted before being sent to the
server?  Are we sending clear text passwords over the network if I run the
admin client on my machine to update a node's password at the server?  Any
definitive information on this topic will be appreciated.

Thanks.
-Matt
Matt Bacchi                              mbacchi AT us.ibm DOT com
IBM Global Services                    v2bacchi AT btv.ibm DOT com
D54V Server Infrastructure                   (802) 769-4072
ADSM & AFS Backup                            (tie) 446-4072