ADSM-L

Re: Scratchtapes with status pending

1999-04-19 14:20:39
Subject: Re: Scratchtapes with status pending
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 14:20:39 -0400
The column SCRATCH VOLUME on the Storage Pool Volume display does NOT mean
the tapes are scratch when you see a YES there. (The person who designed
this display should be shot, no?).

Instead it means the tapes originally came from the SCRATCH pool instead of
being defined in PRIVATE status, so they will go back to SCRATCH status when
they are empty.

The column heading should really read "CAME FROM THE SCRATCH POOL/WILL
RETURN TO SCRATCH POOL".

The way to find out which tapes are REALLY in scratch status is to enter the
command:  Q LIBV libraryname *
That will list all the tapes from your library that are currently available
in SCRATCH status.

Tapes that are in PENDING status are waiting to become scratch.  If you look
at the properties of the storage pool, you will find the REUSEDELAY
parameter is set to some non-zero value.  This is the number of days and
empty tape will stay in PENDING status before becoming scratch again.  Then
ADSM will it SCRATCH again automatically, you don't have to do anything to
make it happen, except wait.  Of if you need scratch tapes in a hurry,
reduce the number of days specified in REUSEDELAY.

The reason for having a REUSEDELAY parm is to keep tapes from being written
over for "REUSEDELAY" days.  So that if you want to restore your data base
back that number of days, the storage pool tapes will still match the
back-level data base.

Hope this helps...
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert