ADSM-L

Re: 3466 tape cleaning

1999-04-15 06:49:13
Subject: Re: 3466 tape cleaning
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 12:49:13 +0200
Hi Mike!
I have been struggling with this for a while too.
The first thing I did was turning on the library's own auto cleaning
feature. You can do this by scrolling through the options on your 3575
library until you find the autoclean option. Here you can turn it on, I
believe the default is off.
The second option is to let ADSM do the cleaning. This option is new in
3.1.2.xx. You have to update your drives using the UPDATE DRIVE
CLEANFREQUENCY=ASNEEDED command.
I have tried both options. When I let the 3575 do the cleaning while running
the 3.1.2.20 ADSM server I was frequently receiving the message "drive needs
cleaning" in the ADSM activity log. It seems that ADSM requires cleaning at
an earlier stage than the library itself. The next thing I tried was turning
on ADSM's cleaning feature. When I walked by the library after a few days
the display on the 3575 indicated "ccc" which told me that all the three
drives needed cleaning. So in this case it's the other way around. The
library says it needs cleaning, ADSM doesn't think so.
So, although it's not advised to do so according to the servers readme file,
I turned both cleaning features on. This runs well for about two weeks now.
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon