ADSM-L

Re: Management Classes

1999-04-13 17:52:38
Subject: Re: Management Classes
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:52:38 -0700
Hello Steve,

Directories are bound to the management class with the longest retention.
If you have multiple management classes that have this same longest
retention, then the management class that ADSM uses will not be
predictable. That is, given two or more management classes that have the
same retention, and that retention happens to be the largest value, then
ADSM will use one of those classes. You can not initially tell which class
it will pick, although it should consistently use that class thereafter
(unless something changes in your policies).

Is it possible that your DRMMC management class has the longest retention
(or is at least as long as SERVER)?

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Okay now when I try and do an incremental backup on the client it fails
with
a server is out of storage message. This is because it is trying to go to
DRMMC management class and I do not have any volumes assigned to it right
now. It should be going to SERVER. I've even tried adding INCLUDE * SERVER
in the dsm.opt file but it just ignores it. Is this a problem with the ptf6
client or am I missing something...

You might start by looking at the client to see if it is defined as being
in the
SERVER domain and then follow the hierarchy down to the policy set,
management
class and copy group. Your output shows the policy set to have been
activated on
04/09/99. If you made any changes to the policy/management class
configuration
did you remember to activate it.

Steve Branch
Phillips Petroleum