ADSM-L

SP4 and 3.1.0.6

2015-10-04 17:44:48
Subject: SP4 and 3.1.0.6
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
I've been feeling a little uneasy regarding all the recent posts regarding
problems with 3.1.0.6 and SP4.

We actually had a lot of problems with the 3.1.0.5 client.. especially with
the 'active object not found' error. We therefore decided to standardise on
3.1.0.6 which appeared to be more reliable (from our perspective).

We currently have a few hundred clients now at SP4 and 3.1.0.6 and a few
hundred more to convert to SP4. Fortuntately we have not as yet experienced
any problems with severe memory leaks / crashes. I know that our standard
SP4 load includes a number of additional MS hot fixes, but I'm unsure
whether this is the source of our current stability. I'd hate to be further
down the road with this and then discover that I need to backlevel all my
clients.

Does anyone have any open problems with IBM regarding SP4 compatibility
issues? Has IBM really properly tested the 3.1.0.6 client with SP4? Before
we moved to SP4 I called IBM support for more info. They were confident that
the client would actually perform better under SP4... but I'm now wondering
if it really underwent any testing at all based upon the feedback I've seen
in this forum.
Is anyone from IBM going to comment on this issue?

Nathan

Nathan King
Open Systems Storage Management
*  (210) 913-5755
* Pager: 753-5755
* E-mail: nathan.king AT usaa DOT com

The opinions herein are mine and almost certainly do not reflect those of my
employer.