ADSM-L

ADSM/AIX 3.1.2.20 - Mgmt Surrogate keys vs DEFAULT re-assigment

1999-04-11 12:08:25
Subject: ADSM/AIX 3.1.2.20 - Mgmt Surrogate keys vs DEFAULT re-assigment
From: Armando Lemos <armando.lemos AT DB DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 13:08:25 -0300
Hey Server Development :

(Although it may seem a very special situation, I would consider this not a
feature of the product  in some cases).

I was running ADSM/AIX 3.1.1.5.

As you are aware, there were some versioning control problems that were fixed in
3.1.2.20, which was the version I applied this weekend.

The expiration process took quite a long time, but I consider this "normal
operation" due to the retention problems so far.

The problem  that I got was the following:

Because I was aware that ADSM was keeping more data that it should, I though I
could change the DEFAULT ( assigndfltmgmt) Management class to something with a
longer retention period, so that I could "minimize" the expiration process ( and
in a way, have more backup versions that I normally wanted, but less than what
ADSM had today).

So, I had two MC : M1 was my previous DEFAULT mgmt, With VEREXIST=Nolimit,
RETEXTRA=32.  I issued the command "ASSIGN DFLTMGMT <domain> <pol> M3" so that
this new M3 would have VEREXIST=Nolimt, RETEXTRA=94, and thus, keeping data for
94 days ( not 32 anymore).

I did this BEFORE the upgrade procedure, so that the very first 3.1.2.20 "expire
inventory" would get the new ( M3) default mgmt.

Now, this part isthe trickiest part :  As far as I am aware, the Management
Class Name assignment is not "name binded". That means that regardless of the
size ( and the  name that we defined) the server maintains special internal
pointers ( surrogate keys right?) that links the "DEFAULT" class to the actual
(assigned) default class.

My assuption is that this DEFAULT-bind operation is performed during the backup
operation, and regardless of the new "assigment", the server does not
"internally rebind" the new DEFAULT management class. In my example, I was using
M1 as the DEFAULT. Although I changed to M3, all data was expired as it was
still being controlled by M1.

Is this correct? Does the server still keeps mgmt info poiting to the "old"
DEFAULT class in this case?

Let me know if the DEFAULT mgmt assignment that I did was possible. maybe this
is a red alert for other people that tried not to release all data ( and try to
reduce expiration).

Rgrds,

Armando Lemos
Deutsche Bank
AIX/ADSM Technical Support

( Please also reply directly to my e-mail address)