ADSM-L

Re: 3570 tape utilisation

1999-04-08 10:43:34
Subject: Re: 3570 tape utilisation
From: Dennis Knee <dknee AT NAZARENE DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 09:43:34 -0500
steveh AT WESLEY.COM DOT AU wrote:

> I'm running a 3575  library with 3570C tapes.  In the devclass I've let the
> estimated capacity default to 5GB.  This is causing copypool tapes to not be
> recycled as efficently as they might because the used percentage is estimated
> too high (I think - I'm relatively new at this).
>
> Does anyone change the estimated capacity of 3570C tapes? If so what figure do
> you use?  I've got a couple of tapes of mostly empty oracle databases that
> compress really well, nearly 15:1 compression, what do others find for
> populated
> oracle databases?
>
> Steve.
>
> Unix System Admin,
>
> The Wesley Hospital,
> Brisbane Australia

I have no experience with oracle. When I upgraded to V3 on our AS/400,
the default for 3570 was set to 10G. Five out of 7 full volumes came to
end of tape before ADSM marked them full. (This is the was the AS/400
server works.) We use no client compression. I have no idea what kind of
hardware compression we are actually getting.
--
Dennis Knee
Dennis Knee