ADSM-L

Re: Sun Client Question

1999-04-08 04:21:45
Subject: Re: Sun Client Question
From: Russell Street <russells AT AUCKLAND.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 20:21:45 +1200
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that it wasn't possible to do
> a 'cold metal' restore of Sun systems solely with ADSM.

I did (as an exercise) manage this:

1. You boot the machine off the Solaris CDROM.  (It had a graphics
head so I let it come up into OpenWindows and the first questions
about the install.  Ignored that dialog box and opened a shell tool)

(Without a graphics head, "boot cdrom -s" does the same thing.)

2. Set the hostname, IP configuration and started in.routed so it
could talk to the network.

3.  On a machine with ADSM installed, created a tar file of the ADSM files.

4.  FTP's the ADSM client software from a near by machine to my victim
and unpack it in /tmp.

5.  create a dsm.sys file for the machine.  Hit environment variables
until the damn thing would connect to the ADSM server.

6.  Partition and newfs the new root disk.  Mount it as /a

7.  Restore the root disk from the ADSM server

8.  run installboot to put the boot blocks back

9.  Create /a/tmp, /a/proc --- otherwise the machine moans a bit at
start up but it is nothing fatal.

10.  Reboot!

Seemed to work just fine.  All the special device files were restored
by ADSM.

If you were really really clever, you could make a jumpstart file to
do all that.

Russell