ADSM-L

Re: DFS buta backup to disk

1999-04-07 03:10:58
Subject: Re: DFS buta backup to disk
From: "H.G.Borrmann" <borrmann AT IBM1.RUF.UNI-FREIBURG DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 09:10:58 +0200
Hi,

> Hi
>
> We are looking at running buta to backup DFS filesets to ADSM. I have
> successfully done so directly to tape but have found that it is no faster
> than the butc deamon that ADSM replaces with buta. (tried with TCPIP and
> SHAREDMEM) I see I can run multiple buta processes which I'm hoping will
> dramatically speed up the backup. However this won't help to tape because
> it is sequential access. I'm of the thinking that multiple buta processes
> to disk then migation to tape will be the answer but we don't want to
> commit to buying extra disk if it will make no difference.  Questions:
>
> 1) I'm backing up 9GB of DFS data. Do I need 9GB+ for disk storage pool to
> backup (ie will migration keep up with backup)
> 2) Does anybody know for sure that mutliple buta processes to disk will
> speed up backup
> 3) Anybody got any better ideas about backup up DFS families filesets that
> deosn't take as long as buta/butc.
>
> THANKS
>
> Craig

I tried to backup AFS to disk with buta and it did not work at all. As far as
I understand buta makes a guess about the amount of disk space needed. This
guess is much too low and the server cancels the backup if buta requires
more storage pool space. We have adsm 3.1.2.13. So I had to use backup directly
to tape. I would be glad if someone could provide me with hints how to
backup AFS with buta to disks.

H.G.Borrmann
|H.G.Borrmann                           |Tel.: (0761) 203-4652            |
|Rechenzentrum der Universitaet Freiburg|Fax:  (0761) 203-4643            |
|Hermann-Herder-Str. 10                 |email:                           |