ADSM-L

DFS buta backup to disk

1999-04-06 22:15:01
Subject: DFS buta backup to disk
From: Craig Murphy <craigm AT NZ1.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 14:15:01 +1200
Hi

We are looking at running buta to backup DFS filesets to ADSM. I have
successfully done so directly to tape but have found that it is no faster
than the butc deamon that ADSM replaces with buta. (tried with TCPIP and
SHAREDMEM) I see I can run multiple buta processes which I'm hoping will
dramatically speed up the backup. However this won't help to tape because
it is sequential access. I'm of the thinking that multiple buta processes
to disk then migation to tape will be the answer but we don't want to
commit to buying extra disk if it will make no difference.  Questions:

1) I'm backing up 9GB of DFS data. Do I need 9GB+ for disk storage pool to
backup (ie will migration keep up with backup)
2) Does anybody know for sure that mutliple buta processes to disk will
speed up backup
3) Anybody got any better ideas about backup up DFS families filesets that
deosn't take as long as buta/butc.

THANKS

Craig