ADSM-L

Re: log growing too quickly ...

1999-04-06 08:25:37
Subject: Re: log growing too quickly ...
From: "Moir,Betsy" <betsy.moir AT ABBOTT DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 07:25:37 -0500
Just a couple of things to think about - we've been trying to get the balance
just right on this for a while now.  Do you do incremental backups on a
scheduled basis or just when the trigger gets set off?  We found doing a
scheduled incremental backup of the database every night helped
considerably.  We also do a full dbbackup on the weekend.

We see the problem happen most often when we're doing large reclamation
processing or filespace deletion - lots of records being written to the
recovery log.  We had our reclamation processing turned off during the week
(we're pushing our processor limits on a daily basis), but just recently
decided we should set reclamation to 50 at night during the week to help ease
the load on the weekend.  We don't want to increase our log size, because
generally it's more than enough space.

Mostly it's a fiddle and tweak kind of thing, I think.  And your particular
setup and what kind of data is being handled by each server will make a
difference.  Of course, I don't know if the fact that we're still running a
V2 server on VM has any effect on any of this.  Just some thoughts.

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 04/05/99 08:57:54 PM
Please respond to ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU @ INTERNET