ADSM-L

Re: How many ADSM Adminstrators do you have?

1999-04-01 10:23:37
Subject: Re: How many ADSM Adminstrators do you have?
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:23:37 -0500
On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, VandenHeuvel, Dan N wrote:

// Hello,
//         I am trying to put together some numbers to determine how many ADSM
// administrators we should have.  Would you please respond with the following:

// 1) How many administrators do you have?
3 Systems and Network Engineers to cover :
        5000 node network
        45 back-room servers (basic services, AFS, computational, login, etc)
        300 UNIX desktops
        I am the only ADSM-fluent in the 3
// 2) How many ADSM clients are you running?
        ~350+
// 3) How many ADSM servers are you running?
        1
// 4) How much data do you back up nightly?
        About 2TB when fully implemented
// 5) Are you stretched for time (optional)?
        Stretched doesn't even begin to describe...
//
// Do you have a formula that determines how many administrators there should
// be for each node or server or size?  I just want to make sure we have enough
// people to administer our nodes.

I dunno if there is a "formula" per se....
There are a lot of variables to consider...
        How reliable is your hardware (client, server, tape, etc)
        Do you have to support the users?
          Are they ignorant or computer-savy?
        How many restores will be needed in an average day?
          Can users do thier own?
        How fast are you expanding?

and probably lots of others that I didn't think of....

-
Best regards,
Best regards,
Brian

| Brian T. Huntley                              UNIX Systems Programmer |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-2292/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                www.clarkson.edu/~bth |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu