ADSM-L

Re: Why retries on files not in use?

1999-03-31 15:06:02
Subject: Re: Why retries on files not in use?
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 14:06:02 -0600
     One note... ADSM will ALWAYS preallocate server space for inbound
     files.  The only time you will see a failure in conjunction with
     server diskpool space is if you have cache on, a high % of the
     diskpool filled with cached versions of files, the client node set to
     compression on, compressalways on, and a file grows with compression.

     ADSM will preallocate server diskpool space based on the size of the
     client file.  If the file compresses nicely, unused diskpool space is
     "freed" after the transfer is complete.  If the file GROWS during
     compression (and compressalways is on) the adsm server will attempt to
     meet the increased server diskpool requirements with an additional
     allocation of "unused" space, IT WILL NOT clear cached files to obtain
     extra space (when a preallocation is exceeded).  NO RETRIES !

     Yes, this is a good thing, otherwise one runaway process could clear
     your entire cached diskpool.

     OH, so on the retry problem... could be bad network data transfers OR
     a write error (hardware glitch) on the adsm server...  I'm not totally
     ruling out totally unnecessary, for no reason at all, random resends
     BUT there is probably some valid reason.  Check the adsm server's
     activity log, and the stats for the network interfaces on the client &
     server.

     Could even be, say, your client idle time out value on the server is
     small, the client goes to compress a BIG file, and while it is working
     away, the server drops its session... That might cause the client to
     choke and resend the file.

     later,
          Dwight

Author:  tkssteve (tkssteve AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU) at unix,mime
Date:    3/31/99 8:24 AM

On Wed, 31 Mar 1999, Werner Nussbaumer wrote:
>      The ADSM client for Windows and for SUN Solaris often retries backups of
>      files when they are not in use. Even with the copy group set to "shared
>      static" there are retries. Why are there retries on files not in use and
if
>      there are retries, is there always a new backup, eg. will a 1 GB file be
>      backuped twice up to 4 times?

You can get retries if the filesize exceeds the maximum allowed in the
primary storage pool, and the file needs to go, perhaps, directly to tape,
rather than to the disk storage pool.  Or, perhaps the disk storage pool
did not have 1GB of space for the file.  This also causes a retry...

Steve (unVMix Systems Programmer/Dude) Roder
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,