ADSM-L

Re: Moving DB

1999-03-26 17:05:07
Subject: Re: Moving DB
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 15:05:07 -0700
No, don't extend it!  If you do that then you can't delete the old volumes.  The
value for maximum extension is the amount of space in the sum total of database
volumes that is not currently being used for the database.  That number must be
larger than the size of the database volume you want to delete.

In other words it is that extendable space that is added when you define a new
volume that is used when you delete an old one.

Lets say you've been growing your database over the years, each time adding a
500 MB volume and extending it, so that now you have 5 volumes for 2500 MB.
Your max extension is 0, yout database is 80% used.  You decide to ditch the 5
500 MB volumes in favour of two 2000 MB volumes.

You define the first volume and now your max extension is 2000.  You could
delete four of the five 500 MB volumes at this point, and ADSM would move 2000
MB from them to the new volume.  Or, you could add the second volume, so that
now you have a total available space of 6500, with a maximum extension of 4000.
You delete the five 500 MB volumes one at a time, leaving you with two volumes
each 2000 MB, a allocate space of 2500 MB (just like uyou started with), and a
max extension of 1500 MB.  Your DB utilization is still 80% (of 2500 MB = 2000
MB).  You then extend the DB 1500 MB.  Your utilization drops to 50%, your max
extension is 0 MB, your max reduction is approximately 2000 MB, depending on
fragmentation.

Cheers...
Bruce

--