ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:46:05
Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT NL wrote:

>I have several Sun Solaris clients which show a significant performance
>difference when using compression. The largest client is a Sun E10000, so
>quite a large machine with a lot of CPU power.

I'm green with envy!

>When I'm not using compression I see a 7 Mbytes/sec performance over 100 Mb
>Ethernet. When using compression I measure no more than 0.5-1 Mbytes/sec.
>Has anybody seen this behavior too?

We have two systems that I tested with ADSM, one is a SPARCserver1000 with six
processors running Solaris 2.4 and the second is a SPARCstation2, single
processor,
running Solaris 2.6. Both systems talk to an RS6000/SP2 ADSM v3 server over
Token
Ring (don't laugh - we're replacing this)

However with the SS2, turning compression off slashed the backup time by half,
6GB of
data taking 2 hours as opposed to over 4 hours with the compression on.

For comparison the SS1000, which has compression turned on, takes roughly the
same
amount of time (2 hours) to backup only 1.5GB of data. We were hesitant about
reading too much into
this since the SS1000 and SS2 run different clients, (V2 and V3) respectively.
Additionally we
had assuming that the network was probably throttling back the ADSM backup
performance.,
I'm going to try a test fairly soon  with the compression off on the SS1000 -
I'll let you know what
happens.

Bob Cross.

We will be moving the Solaris 2.4 system to Solaris 2.6 fairly soon, and
updating to V3 clients.
--Boundary_(ID_CqN5Qp24D0kyVOpYbkiKhQ)--