ADSM-L

Re: ADSM with wake on lan

1999-03-24 13:46:26
Subject: Re: ADSM with wake on lan
From: Lisa Galindo <ldgalindo AT DSTSYSTEMS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:46:26 -0600
fyi
---------------------- Forwarded by Lisa D. Galindo/Winchester/DST/US on
03/24/99 12:47 PM ---------------------------

Jay Vandermeer
03/24/99 10:47 AM

To:   Lisa D. Galindo/Winchester/DST/US@DST
cc:
Subject:  Re: ADSM with wake on lan  (Document link not converted)

Some machines allow "sleep" mode or low power mode and then receive a wakeup
call based on the com port or network.  From what I have read the wakeup on
network activity is for ethernet only and the NIC card must support it as well
as the system BIOS.  The com port would require a direct connection to another
machine or mode for the wakeup call.  Also NT does not respond well to power
saver features, so this would only be good for WIN 9.x.  You would need a
process that did the wakeup, waited until the machine was back alive then issued
the backup command, when the backup was complete issued the suspend API call.

Too much effort for what you would get in the end.

Lisa D. Galindo
03/23/99 08:48 PM