ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Oracle - File Expiration

1999-03-24 12:01:16
Subject: Re: ADSM and Oracle - File Expiration
From: "Jones, Anthony" <Jones4A AT KOCHIND DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:01:16 -0600
We had the same issue.  This is what we found.  You should have a different
management class for your database backups.  The versioning needs to be set,
so when ebu, backtrack, or the connect agent marks it inactive, the adsm
expire inventory process will remove them.  We did not have this in place
and backup database data would not go away.

To fix it: We had all DBA's use a new filespace for backups for 45 days.
This made sure that all was well before we deleted anything.  We then
created an new management class, with VerExist = 1, RetainOnly=0.  This way
when the files are marked inactive they are removed from ADSM.  We then
removed the old filespaces.  Freed up lots of tapes, and db space.

Anthony Jones
Platform Technologist - ADSM Administrator
Koch Industries, Inc.
Cultivate trusted business partnerships by continuously improving the
delivery of cost-effective and measurable platform and network management
services.