ADSM-L

Re: AFS or DFS anyone?

1999-03-19 09:25:10
Subject: Re: AFS or DFS anyone?
From: "Brian T. Huntley" <bth AT CLARKSON DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:25:10 -0500
On Fri, 19 Mar 1999, Richard Sims wrote:

// As a site looking into the best way to perform buta backups for DFS
// file systems, I'd appreciate guidance from experienced sites...
//
// I've found that if you perform 'buta' and 'bak' from interactive
// windows that you have done a 'dce_login cell_admin' to, you can
// run them just fine.  But if you try to put them into a script to
// be run by cell_admin, it fails to work, as in 'bak' being unable
// to contact 'buta', apparently for lack of discrete authentication.
// (That is, the processes are spin-offs from cell_admin, and are
// not directly authenticated.)  So it looks like I'd have to code the
// script to run the 'buta' and 'bak' as command arguments to the
// dce_login command - which would in turn force utilization of keytab
// files to avoid having the password show up in the command line, and
// so it gets awfully complicated.  I had initial thoughts of maybe
// using 'bos create' to make these DCE cron jobs - but that gets you
// no authentication (the server still has to authenticate itself).
//
// So I'd like to learn how other sites have approached this.
//      thanks,  Richard Sims, BU
//

I'm not really familliar with the DFS backup stuff, but I can tell you
that for AFS I run the AFS backup command and buta on an AFS server using
the -localauth flag.  Works w/o a problem so long as the script is run
from root's crontab.

 -
Best regards,
Brian

| Brian T. Huntley                              UNIX Systems Programmer |
| Campus Information Services, Clarkson University                      |
| Ph/FAX: 315.268-2292/6570                                             |
| bth AT clarkson DOT edu                                www.clarkson.edu/~bth |
 UNIX *is* user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are.
        PGP Public Key available. finger bth AT clarkson DOT edu