ADSM-L

Re: AFS or DFS anyone?

1999-03-19 09:01:01
Subject: Re: AFS or DFS anyone?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 09:01:01 -0500
As a site looking into the best way to perform buta backups for DFS
file systems, I'd appreciate guidance from experienced sites...

I've found that if you perform 'buta' and 'bak' from interactive
windows that you have done a 'dce_login cell_admin' to, you can
run them just fine.  But if you try to put them into a script to
be run by cell_admin, it fails to work, as in 'bak' being unable
to contact 'buta', apparently for lack of discrete authentication.
(That is, the processes are spin-offs from cell_admin, and are
not directly authenticated.)  So it looks like I'd have to code the
script to run the 'buta' and 'bak' as command arguments to the
dce_login command - which would in turn force utilization of keytab
files to avoid having the password show up in the command line, and
so it gets awfully complicated.  I had initial thoughts of maybe
using 'bos create' to make these DCE cron jobs - but that gets you
no authentication (the server still has to authenticate itself).

So I'd like to learn how other sites have approached this.
     thanks,  Richard Sims, BU