ADSM-L

How to limit restore to a subset of a node's files? (UNIX)

1999-03-18 16:39:23
Subject: How to limit restore to a subset of a node's files? (UNIX)
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 15:39:23 -0600
     Hi:

     I think I know how to permit multiple individuals to backup and
     restore only their own files on common shared server.

     I believe the brute force way would be to define a node name per
     indidividual customer/file set with an individual directory and
     software instance per node, then use UNIX access control to limit the
     directories and files that each particular instance of the backup
     client could see . . . and use excludes in each node's directory to
     assure there are not access control failures during backup.  I gather
     that each such "node" would need an instance of the scheduler to be
     loaded and connected to the server.

     The advent of the Web Client stirred hopes that somehow restores could
     be limited/linked to the individual who is doing the restore.  I
     believe this is not the case though I see that ADSM does carry the
     UNIX "owner" attribute in the node's directory database.  Certainly
     this information would be needed for such a feature.

     Would anyone comment on how accurately I describe the
     situation/solution?  Thanks for your help.

     Eric Lewis UW-Madison