ADSM-L

ANS5174E with Win32 client

1999-03-18 12:19:53
Subject: ANS5174E with Win32 client
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 12:19:53 -0500
Boy, am I confused.

On my desktop system I can boot either Win95 or WinNT 4.0 workstation (SP4).

On either Win95 or WinNT, I run the ADSM Win32 client PTF 6J4 (a fixtest)
I log on the network as the same network user, and same ADSM nodename no
matter which system I boot.

On either Win95 or WinNT, I have a permanent connection (P:) to a network
drive.
The network drive is on an NT 4.0 fileserver.

I have a set of directories/files on P: that I own.  I can create and delete
files and directories here.  I am the NT "owner" of many of the files,
although there are other directories on this drive that are owned by others.

If I am running Win95 with the PTF 6J client, I can back up, restore, and
archive all the files I normally have access to.

If I am running WinNT with the PTF 6J client, I CANNOT back up or archive
most of the files I normally have access to.  The error message is ANS5174E,
"A required NT privilege is not held".

This doesn't make sense.  As far as NT is concerned, I can do anything I
want with these files.  And ADSM will let me access SOME of them, but not
all.

Do any of you NT experts out there have any rational explanation for this?
Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert