ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation blocks backup (migration)

1999-03-18 09:51:12
Subject: Re: Reclamation blocks backup (migration)
From: "Purdon, James" <james_purdon AT MERCK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:51:12 -0500
Hi,

My solution to this problem was to write a series of scripts which  managed
all the daily operations (backup to copy pools, reclamation, etc.). The
scripts kick off the various operations and then only let them run for a
specific interval.  At the end of the interval, the operation is cancelled
with a "cancel process".

My scripts aren't documented and I don't know how useful they would be to
anyone.  They are written largely in Korn shell and awk and are very, very
ugly.  In addition, there's alot of cruft which is site-specific - a
registration package, email notification of client failure to back up file
systems, and a lot of stuff to manage tape volumes written before DRM (I now
use DRM a little bit in the scripts).

I found the adsm administrative scheduler to be of limited value - it could
kick off operations, but not monitor their progress or cancel them.
To manage limited resources (such as a server with only two tape drives) you
need a full-featured language with variables, branches and loops.

Just as an aside - I think that an adsm server should have a minimum of four
tape drives.

Jim