ADSM-L

Re: restore times

1999-03-18 09:45:24
Subject: Re: restore times
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 09:45:24 -0500
Well, that's an issue, but not really a big one for me.

If you have collocation on, and a tape fills up, and there is not a scratch
tape available to the pool, ADSM will abandon collocation and put the data
on a tape in the pool that isn't already 100% full (and yes, I'm still
running V2).  So you have an escape hatch there.

Granted, you do still need to check on your pool occasionally, 'cause you do
need to increase your MAXSCRATCH parameter at whatever rate your total data
store is growing.  But I've found OCCASIONALLY only means about once a month
for me.  (Might be more often if you have smaller-capacity tapes).

Those of us with limited-capacity tape libraries have to live with this
issue, anyway.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert