ADSM-L

crash on Solaris 2.6

1999-03-17 12:45:08
Subject: crash on Solaris 2.6
From: "Richmond, Jeff" <richmond AT SHARPLABS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 09:45:08 -0800
All,

I have had another ADSM crash of sorts on Solaris 2.6. I was backing up a
small number of clients (4 or 5 servers) with ease, and all seemed to be
going well. However, after setting the server to automatically back up 20
servers, it crashed sometime the following day. Now when I attempt to start
ADSM, I get the following messages:

ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 11:19:12 on Aug 28 1998.
ANR7801I Subsystem process ID is 15229.
ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
ANR0990I ADSM server restart-recovery in progress.
ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 596 megabytes.
ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 2000 megabytes.
ANR0306I Recovery log volume mount in progress.
ANR0353I Recovery log analysis pass in progress.
ANR0354I Recovery log redo pass in progress.
ANR0355I Recovery log undo pass in progress.
ANR9999D logseg.c(493): Log space has been overcommitted (no empty segment
found) - base LSN = 3088.0.0.
ANR7824S Server operation terminated.
ANR7823S Internal error LOGSEG871 detected.
ANR9999D Trace-back of called functions:
ANR9999D   0x000639BC  AbortServer
ANR9999D   0x00060D60  pkAbort
ANR9999D   0x00534F70  LogAllocSegment
ANR9999D   0x0052EE54  ForceLogPages
ANR9999D   0x0052C5C0  LogWriterThread
ANR9999D   0x00063BA8  StartThread
ANR9999D   0xEF75501C  *UNKNOWN*
ANR9999D   0x00063AD0  StartThread

In case anyone is interested, I have the client sending their backup data
directly to a storage pool called autopool, which is an IBM 3575 Tape
Library with a single Magstar "C" drive and 60 Magstar tapes. I am using
scratch volumes exclusively.

I am at a complete loss. This is the second time I have had an ADSM crash
when setting it to backup more than 3 to 5 clients. Does anyone have any
thoughts or ideas? And I was the one who pitched to management how crappy
ArcServe was and that we should switch to ADSM...

Thanks in advance!
Jeff Richmond - MCP, CCSA
Jeff Richmond - MCP, CCSA
Systems Administrator