ADSM-L

ADSM restore to HP-UX problem

1999-03-16 09:23:00
Subject: ADSM restore to HP-UX problem
From: "Agnew, Doug" <dagnew AT CHARLOTTEPIPE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 09:23:00 -0500
I'm trying to test a cold restore process for my HP-UX servers, whose
filesystems are being backed up by ADSM.

The procedure I used was:
a) installed HP-UX (v10.2) from CDs -- defined all volumegroups, file
systems, etc.
b) installed FDDI support from CDs -- needed for connectivity to ADSM server
c) ftp'ed and installed ADSM client from ADSM server
d) used dsmc, with command restore /* -replace=all
      BUT any file in use (such as .init, dce, etc.) was not restored....
      EVEN though I had specified the replace=all option

IF I use frestore (HP's utility to restore from THEIR backups), these files
WILL be overwritten, even though they are in use.  Is there any way to force
ADSM to overwrite the files??   Or am I stuck with installing to a temporary
area, restoring to my regular areas and then booting from the regular
areas??

TIA....

 Douglas Agnew
Database Administrator