ADSM-L

Very poor restore performance

1999-03-16 08:33:12
Subject: Very poor restore performance
From: "Seibt,Stefan HG-Dir ws-sp" <SeibtS AT ALTE-LEIPZIGER DOT DE>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 14:33:12 +0100
Hi there,

We have an ADSM server for each operating system client platform, i.e.
an ADSM server for NT clients, an ADSM server for netware clients, an
ADSM server for several unix client. We use a fourth ADSM server only
for archiving files.
Our ADSM server environment describes as follows : OS/390 2.4, TCP/IP
3.2, ADSM 3.1 Lvl 2.1, DB-sizes (NT 14 GB/70% util,Netware 6 GB/40%
util, Unix 4 GB/70% util), BUFPoolsize 16384, LOGPoolsize 4096,
collocation is enabled, our backuppools on DASD (EMC 3390) are migrated
every day to MagStar tapes until the low treshold of 0% is reached,

Before we have upgraded to Server Version 3, the performance of the
backup processes was poor, now the performance of backup is ok and the
recover peformance is still bad. Last week we had to make a disaster
recovery of a NT server. The amount of data was 7 GB and it took 25
(in words: twenty-five) hours. This is about 85 KB/s.

Does anyone have experience with such a behavior and wants to share ?
Any ideas are welcome.

        :-)     Stefan Seibt
                Alte Leipziger Versicherungen
                Abteilung WS-SP