ADSM-L

Behaviour of direct-to-tape backup

1999-03-15 02:00:22
Subject: Behaviour of direct-to-tape backup
From: Glen Walker <Glen.Walker AT TELUS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 00:00:22 -0700
I've been experimenting with a direct to tape backup of a 200 GB database
using Backint and going directly to tape storage pools. I have 4 3590 tape
drives in a 3494 tape library.

I set the Backint program to start 4 sessions and each session used a
management class with a copy group whose output was to one of two storage
pools. That is, two copygroups went to one pool two to the other. I was
surprised to see that ADSM would start four sessions, but two of those
sessions would be waiting for tape mounted by the other sessions.  Does this
mean that to make use of all four tape drives simultaneously I need to have
each copygroup go to a unique tape storage pool? (Collocation is off on the
two pools I was using).

Glen Walker
Unix System Administrator
TELUS Communications
Glen.Walker AT telus DOT com <mailto:Glen.Walker AT telus DOT com>      (403)
441-7606