ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and big file-servers

1999-03-12 08:57:04
Subject: Re: ADSM and big file-servers
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 08:57:04 -0500
>The difference between the network speed and the size of the data disks
>becomes bigger and I see a problem in this fact.
>What are you think about these? And how could we solve these problem?

The disparity you note between the large disk capacities and network speed
is certainly a concern.  But the action to take is to keep your system
configurations proportioned.  Having to serve (never mind restore) very
large amounts of data means that your network capacity should be
proportional to the amount of data it will be called upon to serve.  16
Mbit token-ring technology is rather old and slow stuff now, given the
evolution in disk capacities.

So you need to grow your network capacity just as you grow your disk
capacities, to be able to meet your service requirements.  Fortunately,
there are a number of very fast and economical (i.e., mature) networking
techologies for you to choose from now.
      Richard Sims, BU