ADSM-L

Re: nohup & dsmc

1999-03-11 17:30:28
Subject: Re: nohup & dsmc
From: "Richard C. Dempsey" <dempsey AT KODAK DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:30:28 -0500
At 05:05 PM 3/11/99 -0500, you wrote:
>>Problem: I've got an alternate id setup(uid=0) which when logged on goes
>>directly into a script which will allow our operators to stop various
database
>>servers, and then start a nohup dsmc i directing stdout & stderr to files.
>>Exiting the script logs off the user.  When that happens the incremental
dies
>>too.  The incrementals cannot be scheduled due to the nature of the node.
 IE
>>the backups will happen sometime over the w/e after production stops.
>
>When your script kicks off the 'dsmc i', does it run it in the background
>(ampersand at the end of the command)?  I should think that would do it,
>with the nohup.
>    Richard Sims, BU

That is also my experience.  The trailing ampersand is critical.
Also, I use "at now <<EOF" to submit the command via cron.  That
seems to be rather more reliable.

Rich

Richard C. Dempsey                 email: dempsey AT kodak DOT com
Public Online Services             pager: 716-975-3539
11th Floor, Bldg 83, RL            phone: 716-477-3457
Eastman Kodak Company
Rochester, NY 14650-2203