ADSM-L

Re: Follow the moving drive letter

1999-03-11 11:16:09
Subject: Re: Follow the moving drive letter
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 11:16:09 -0500
Hi Bob,
We also have removable hard drives in use here.

(For those who have never seen one, a "removable hard drive" is a hard drive
mounted in a carriage so that it can be pulled out of your PC and replaced
with a different one, without using a screwdriver.  It is physically
"removable", but Windows sees it as a fixed hard disk.  Windows doesn't
think it is "REMOVABLE MEDIA" in the same sense as a ZIP cartridge, for
example.)

We don't have your problem, because our users normally are booting from
their removable drive.  For example, I have one hard drive that has Win95 on
it, and another that has WinNT.
As long as the Windows Networking ID is different on the two drives, we
don't have your problem because ADSM constructs the filespace name using the
Networking ID.

Your problem is harder, because the users are replacing a data drive, not
the boot drive.

Anyway, here is a suggestion; I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if
this will work or not:

The Win32 PTF 6 client still creates filespace names for REMOVABLE drives (I
mean the REAL removble media, like a ZIP, for example) using the drive
label, like the earlier Win32 clients did, instead of using the UNC name.

For Win95, you can MARK your hard drive to be "REMOVABLE".  It's not in
properties, you have to right click on MY COMPUTER, select the DEVICE
MANAGER tab, open the entry for that drive, and mark it as REMOVABLE. I know
you can do this because we had one machine that had its C: drive which was
NOT removable in any sense marked this way by accident!

That might be enough to fool ADSM, or it might not, I don't know.
Now DON"T try this on a boot drive (C:), because there is some software that
won't install on a REMOVABLE drive.

But maybe it would work for your D: or E: drives?   If it does, let me know.
I would also like to hear if anybody knows of any bad side effects
associated with doing this!
(And it's not an option for WinNT.)

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert