ADSM-L

Re: You learn something new everyday.

1999-03-10 09:46:21
Subject: Re: You learn something new everyday.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:46:21 -0500
>We have Quota Advisor as well and I'm wondering if it is to blame for some of
>our NT slow performers.  ADSM really does the archive bit update during a
>backup
>eh?  What do you plan to do as a permanent fix?

As a supplementary observation, note that various advanced file systems such
as AFS, DFS, Network Appliance, and Digital AdvFS let you virtually
instantaneously create a read-only snapshot clone of the file system (actually
alternate pointers to the file system data), which you can then back up with
no alterations or interference.  This is the optimum approach, if available to
you.

An obvious "trick" with ordinary file systems is to attempt to mount the same
currently-online device read-only at an alternate mount point, the objective
being to prevent timestamp alterations as the backup agent reads the data to
perform the backup.  But your operating system may thwart you, as AIX does: it
knows it's the same object, and so updates the read-access timestamp anyway,
despite having read the data through a read-only mount.  Sigh.

  Richard Sims, BU