ADSM-L

Problem restoring a volume

2015-10-04 17:46:03
Subject: Problem restoring a volume
From: McNamara, Sean [SMTP:sean.mcnamara AT LMCO DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Hello All,

        We are  using ADSM 3.1.1.5 running on AIX 4.2.1 using 3494 ATL w/
3590 tape drives.

        We are experiencing a problem when conducting a retrieve.  The
retrieve is attempting to pull the data off of a particular tape that is
damaged.  We receive anr9999d error messages and messages about not being
able to find bitfiles.   We attempted to restore the volume and it appeared
to work just fine, but we are still receiving the same error messages.
        I.B.M. was called and they suggested that I use 'del vol xxxxxx
discard=yes', but in reading about this command it states that the primary
copy and all other copies of the file(s) will be deleted.  I can not do this
because this data has already been deleted from the filesystem.
        My questions:

        Am I correct - 'del vol xxxxxx discard=yes' will remove all database
entries on these files?  Including those in the copy pools?

        Is there anything else that I can try/do in order to recover this
data from the copy storage pools if this is case?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Sean McNamara
Lockheed Martin