ADSM-L

Re: Failed schedules display completed.

1999-03-04 11:20:19
Subject: Re: Failed schedules display completed.
From: Andy Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:20:19 -0800
Hello Katie,

It looks like you were performing an incremental backup. Incremental
backup is not considered failed if some files were unable to be backed
up for one reason or another. In general, many users have multiple
file systems with thousands, hundreds of thousands, and even millions
of files on each file system. Out of all of those files, finding one
or more files that can not be backed up for some reason is very
typical. This being the case, it was decided that an incremental backup
would be considered successful even if some files could not be backed
up.

An example of a scenario where the incremental backup would be failed
is the case where one of your file systems could not be accessed by
ADSM for some reason. For instance, if you have a domain consisting
of the C:, D:, and E: drives and the D: drive can not be accessed by
ADSM, then that backup would be failed, even though it might process
C: and E: successfully.

In the case of a SELECTIVE backup or an ARCHIVE, if one or more files
can not be backed up (or archived) then the event will be failed. The
rationale for this is that if you ask to selectively back up or archive
one or more files, the assumption is that you want each and every one
of those files to be processed. If even one file fails, then the event
will have a status of failed.

So the basic difference is that with incremental we expect that one
or more files might not be able to be processed, so we do not flag such
a case as failed. In other cases, like SELECTIVE or ARCHIVE, we expect
that each file specified *must* be processed successfully, or else we
flag the operation as failed.

Hope this helps,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
"The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked."

Hi All,

After doing some D/R it was found that ADSM had not got a complete
backup of our Oracle database. The was because the d/b was not down,
files were changing and therefore skipped. This has now been resolved.
My question is why the schedule displayed "completed successfully" when
in fact it finished with failures. Is this a known problem or is ADSM
displaying the correct message?

Total number of objects inspected:   16,974
Total number of objects backed up:      584
Total number of objects updated:          0
Total number of objects rebound:          0
Total number of objects deleted:        613
Total number of objects failed:           2
******
Total number of bytes transferred:      1.3 GB
Data transfer time:                1,260.69 sec
Data transfer rate:                1,141.84 KB/sec
Average file size:                  8,097.5 KB
Compression percent reduction:           86%
Elapsed processing time:           02:24:53
Scheduled event 'OFORAC_INC' completed successfully.    ******

Thanks,

Katie.