ADSM-L

Re: File Expiration

1999-03-03 11:17:29
Subject: Re: File Expiration
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 11:17:29 -0500
When you see the "expiring" message, it does NOT necessarily mean that ADSM
is deleting anything from it's data base.

It just means ADSM has recognized that
1) This file was on the client the previous time the backup ran, but
2) Is not on the client now.

This causes several things to happen.
1) The last backup for the file is marked "inactive" instead of "active"

2) ADSM starts managing the backups for the file based on the "VERDELETED"
and "RETONLY" parameters in your backup copy groups.  These parameters allow
policies to be set for deleted files that are different from active files.

For example, if you have VERDELETED=0, it would cause the backups for this
file to be expired the next time inventory expiration is run.

If you have VERDELETED=1 RETONLY=30, then the last backup for this file will
be expired 30 days from the time you see the "expiring" message.

Hope this helps.

Wanda Prather
The Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think" -
Scott Adams/Dilbert