ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Archiving woes

1999-03-02 21:41:55
Subject: Re: ADSM Archiving woes
From: Trevor Foley <Trevor.Foley AT BANKERSTRUST.COM DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 13:41:55 +1100
Hi Rich,

The amount of degradation that you see depends on how many files there are
in a given filespace. We have some that have hundreds of thousands of files.
It isn't the data transfer that is affected but rather the upfront ADSM DB
query. We often see the query time well in excess of 30 minutes.

As you your other question, a flipant response would be 'how long is a piece
of string'. Seriously though, PTFs that give you increased functionality are
good things. It would be nice if ADSM had fewer problems to fix that require
fixes to be released. If you are happy with the current functionality, and
are not having any problems, there isn't a strong case for upgrading
(ignoring the fact that IBM will stop supporting a given version after some
amount of time).

ADSM server version 3.1.2.1 still has an expiration problem. You need to
install 3.1.2.12 or 3.1.2.15 to fix it. But as I said, if you aren't seeing
a problem, there is no real need to install the fix. This is especially the
case with these fixes, as opposed to formal releases.

Trevor