ADSM-L

Re: Opt. Library 3995 disks fail at 41% capacity

1999-02-26 07:56:41
Subject: Re: Opt. Library 3995 disks fail at 41% capacity
From: Nick Cassimatis <nickpc AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 1999 07:56:41 -0500
This will be a little long, but I'm trying to compare what's happening to
you to something I've been going through.  My environment is different
(ADSM Server running on OS/2, and the 3995 is attached to another OS/2
server on the network).

You indicate that some cartridges error at 91% utilized.  Did the volume
that did fill completely end up with an estimated capacity around 4.7GB?
If so, you're having a problem at the end-of-volume marker.  I've had the
same thing.  41% (with the other error at 91%) doesn't really look like
you're having problems at the end of the side, but if your files are large
enough, with the way ADSM shows the % Utilized, it still could be.  I have
a PR open with ADSM support about a very similar problem, but the actual
work has moved over to the 3995 group, since it is appearing to be a
problem in the drive microcode.

If you run an Audit Volume, does most/all of the data show up as bad?

One thing I did was this - I copied a large (400MB) file out to one of the
3995 cartridges.  The resultant size was smaller than it should have been.
I did this multiple times, and came up with multiple sizes for the copied
file.  This eliminated ADSM as the problem, since the OS itself was having
the problem.

Best of luck to you.  I've been working on this for some time, and I'm not
sure when I'll have my problem resolved.

Nick Cassimatis
nickpc AT us.ibm DOT com

If you don't have the time to do it right the first time, where will you
find the time to do it again?