ADSM-L

Re: Selective Backup Objects

1999-02-24 16:04:11
Subject: Re: Selective Backup Objects
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 13:04:11 -0800
The VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT is still around because it effectively
separates a large filesystem into smaller, more manageable
chunks. Based on my observations of the way the server works, and
some talks with various developers, I believe that a node's
backup objects are keyed off of the filespace name--perhaps even
broken into separate tables.

This can effectively reduce your workload on retrieves/restores,
and can also allow you to multiplex a restore operation when a
single physical filesystem is broken into two or more "VIRTUAL"
filesystems. Thus, even though it is now possible to do an
incremental backup of a subset of a filesystem w/o the
VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT option, the option does still provide
flexibility to some customers.

We take advantage of the VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT parameter to back up
our user's home directories under their automounted location
(/usr/home/tlaporte, e.g.) rather than via their physical
location. This way, when a user's home moves from one machine to
another--which is a common occurence in our environment, given
that home directories are always on option drives, and user's
equipment needs are constantly shifting--we can physically
relocate the home directory, do an EXPORT NODE of the filesystem
from the original location, and IMPORT NODE to the new system,
and avoid the full backup that would otherwise occur.

As to the second question, I haven't specifically observed the
behavior, but I do believe that "COLLOCATION FILE" used in
conjunction with "VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT"s would exhibit the behavior
that you describe, i.e. a unique set of tapes for each
VIRTUALMOUNTPOINT.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation