ADSM-L

Re: How to predict what tapes will be mounted in a restore

1999-02-24 11:36:41
Subject: Re: How to predict what tapes will be mounted in a restore
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:36:41 -0600
     If you have "collocation file" AND ensure you always have ample
     scratch tapes available for use you may take your "show volumeusage
     nodename" results and perform a "query content volser count=1" for
     each tape used by a client and this will show you what client file
     systems reside on each tape.  (only if you've never run out of scratch
     tapes and it hasn't had to mix up the clients data)

     Don't bother to try a :
        export node nodename filespace=filesysname filedata=backupactive
        preview=yes devc=tapedevice
     'cause it won't show what tapes would be required.

     later,
            Dwight

Author:  Craig.McAllister (Craig_McAllister AT EUROPE36.MOT DOT COM) at
unix,mime
Date:    2/24/99 10:00 AM

How can I do this?

        I know that by using "show volumeusage nodename" (or query
equivalent) I can say what volumes a particular node uses, but I need to
know what tapes it will use, and in what order, for the restore of a
particular filesystem within that node.

        I think there's possibly something on the dsmc command line to do
with a preview option, but I'm not sure.

        I want to do this for NT (ADSM NT client 3.1.0.6) on an AIX server
(3.1.0.0 or 3.1.2.1  - whatever works...)