ADSM-L

[no subject]

2015-10-04 17:47:38

We are doing nightly on-line backups (with SAP's BRBACKUP and IBM's BACKINT) -- but we want a good off-line clean-point at least once a week. If nothing else, some of the maintenance the DBAs do on the weekend invalidates the on-line backups.

Tom Kauffman

    -----Original Message-----
    From:   Robert Cross [SMTP:Robert.Cross AT SCOTTISH-NEWCASTLE.CO DOT UK]
    Sent:   Tuesday, February 23, 1999 4:55 AM
    To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
    Subject:        Re: How do you handle time-critical backups?

    >How do I avoid this problem in the future? Is there *any* platform which
    >supports dual-write or mirrored tape (I could do this on GCOS-3 15 years ago
    >. . .)?

    What about the IBM3494? Our unit has two drives and so we get two copies of our
    ADSM backups. Problem is that it doesn't stop garbage-in, garbage-out only
    mitigates
    against media failure.

    Wouldn't a better approach be to get the Oracle agent and use that for doing
    *on-line*
    backups through the week? At least that way you've got more time points to
    choose
    from for your restore.

    Just a few small thoughts....

    Bob Cross.