ADSM-L

Activity log messaegs

1999-02-22 13:18:45
Subject: Activity log messaegs
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:18:45 -0800
I'm trying to write some scripts to check on our server activity,
using the activity log. I've noticed, however, that there are
a couple of different "end process" messages for some of the
processes.

For example, it appears that the end of a  "BACKUP
STORAGE POOL" process may sometimes be indicated with an ANR0986I
message, which indicates the number of items and bytes
processed. It is also indicated sometimes with an ANR0985I
message, which does *not* indicate the number of items or the
bytes processed. Although in many cases it appears that the
ANR0985I (the less verbose message) is registered when the BACKUP
STORAGE POOL process has a completion state of FAILURE, it is not
consistently the case, as there are instances in my current
activity log where the end of a SUCCESSful BACKUP STORAGE POOL is
signified by the ANR0985I message.

Does anybody know either (a) why there are different messages for
the same apparent action, or (b) what triggers the less verbose
(ANR0985I) message ?

Thanks.

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte