ADSM-L

Re: V3 backup of non-local files

1999-02-19 22:39:09
Subject: Re: V3 backup of non-local files
From: Brett Walker <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 19:39:09 -0800
Pat,

The Mac book is plain wrong.  The DOMAIN option works the same on all
platforms - if ALL-LOCAL is specified, then only your local hard disks are
backed up.  This means CD-ROMs, Zips, AppleShare volumes, etc will NOT be
backed up - they are not considered "local".  This is the behaviour you
want.

I don't know why the Mac book is incorrect - the other platforms have it
documented correctly (at least the ones I checked).  I will inform our
information development folks about the misprint.

Cheers,
Brett
>Pat,
>
>I'm surprised the book says that.  This is actually the way the Mac client
>was originally implemented when it first came out, and a bunch of folks
>complained.  IBM (Brett) then changed it so that ALL-LOCAL meant all local
>volumes that were hard drives.  Specifically, diskettes, network
>(Appleshare) volumes, and CD-ROM drives were excluded.  I would expect ADSM
>to continue to work this way in V3, tho I have not verified it.  Perhaps
>the documentation never got updated when Brett made the change?  Anyway, on
>this particular thing I would not take what the book says as gospel, but
>rather try it out to see how it really works.  If anyone in ADSM Pubs is
>listening, perhaps they can also check and update the docs.
>
>..Paul
>--
>At 01:56 PM 2/10/99 +22300819, you wrote:
>>I'm not sure you're correct.  The Mac "Using the Client" book
>>(1/99 edition) says, under "domain" (pg 62):
>>
>>        all-local
>>          Backs up all local volumes.  This is the default.
>>          All CD-ROM drives, diskette drives, and network volumes are also
>> included.
>>
>>Which would seem to indicate that the default is, in fact, "all".
>>
>>Perhaps the book is wrong?
>>
>>Pat Wilson
>>paw AT dartmouth DOT edu
>>

>>Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU> writes:
>>>  Pat;  The default DOMAIN is "ALL-LOCAL".  This is used by the ADSM
>>>  Scheduler when deciding what should be backed up.  ALL-LOCAL means all
>>>  local, unmountable, hard disk volumes.  I.e., not floppies, not CDROM, not
>>>  network volumes.  The DOMAIN does not prevent users from backing up
>>>  whatever they want to - manually.  But, it does help if you can train your
>>>  users to use the Scheduler to run their backups.
>>>
>>>  ..Paul

  Brett Walker                  ADSM Development, IBM
  walkerbl AT vnet.ibm DOT com         tie 276-0265
"That's just my opinion; I could be wrong."
      --- Dennis Miller