ADSM-L

ADSM

1999-02-16 18:23:20
Subject: ADSM
From: "CHAUNCY,David" <david.chauncy AT DEWRSB.GOV DOT AU>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 1999 09:23:20 +1000
Hi,

I have just started an identical consultancy.  ADSM V2 is currently
installed but hated with a vengeance.  It was never installed properly, the
people that installed it have left and the people currently support ADSM
have had no training.  Stotek are trying to sell Netbackup from Veritas
(Stotek originally sold ADSM) and the ease of use of this product has gained
tremendous support.  They are not using the GUI or WEB interface available
with V2.

My recommendation is that they upgrade to V3 of ADSM for the following
reasons:

*       support from Stotek for ADSM was not great, why would it be better
for Netbackup
*       the investment in ADSM V2
*       ADSM allows backups to a disk storage pool, then DLT, my
understanding is that Netbackup goes straight to DLT
*       installed base of ADSM is far greater than Netbackup
*       ADSM supports migration - Netbackup not yet

The difficulty is that we really don't know what is in the distributed
environment, I am recommending SAMS/Vantage as it interfaces with ADSM so
well.  We are looking at Spaceview for a comparison.  We know their are
approx 200 servers with 300gb of data.  My argument for getting a tools such
as SAMS is that if you can't measure what it is now, how can you measure
what you have done.

Your thoughts would be appreciated