ADSM-L

Re: Chargeback to departments for ADSM usage

1999-02-16 13:08:21
Subject: Re: Chargeback to departments for ADSM usage
From: "Wayne T. Smith" <ADSM AT MAINE DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 13:08:21 -0500
MichaelD wrote, in part..
> My company is looking into charging for ADSM services back to the Dept. that
> owns the server.
> Does anyone out there currently do this, and if so, what are you using to
> administer it.

We do this.  We decided to ignore transfer costs and just charge for
our cost of backup data residing on the ADSM server at the end of
each month (tape storage for data and online storage for staging and
database).

1. Record an "account code"/billing code in the node contact field.

2. Wrote a script to extract the numbers of files and volume (MBs) of
data stored on the backup server (using standard ADSM interfaces).
Our platform is VM, other platforms and other ADSM versions may
have different capabilities.  Capturing command-line administrative
client output is all that is needed (QUERY OCCUPANCY).

A most important part of our ADSM-Backup service is a weekly
mailing giving a status report, from the backup server's viewpoint, of
each node.  Certain anomalies cause this "status report" to become a
"warning", such as no backups for more than n days or a different
number of days for the "backup started" and "backup completed"
values one may see with a QUERY FILESPACE admin command.

I've seen commercial (non-adsm) backup sites charge exactly the
opposite way in that they charge for bytes transmitted but not storage.

Hope this helps,

Wayne T. Smith                            adsm AT ADSM.caps.Maine DOT edu
ADSM Technical Coordinator - UNET       University of Maine System