ADSM-L

DB backup -- a single point of failure??

1999-02-12 15:00:56
Subject: DB backup -- a single point of failure??
From: "Agnew, Doug" <dagnew AT CHARLOTTEPIPE DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 15:00:56 -0500
As I have been building a disaster recovery plan with ADSM, I have been
trying to identify and eliminate all single points of failure.  Now I've run
up against one that won't go away, the database backup.

As I read the manuals, I note that there is no way to create a duplicate
copy of the database backup tape.  So, if I lose (through media failure or
whatever) the latest database backup or ANY in the series of the latest full
and subsequent incremental backups, I cannot restore my database to 'last
backup'.

Granted, if I have two servers and do a server-to-server backup of the
database and then copy that archive file, I do get a copy of the database
backup.  But dual servers is not in the current configuration YET and I
can't find any other way to avoid this single point of failure situation.

Am I just not thinking clearly or is this a legitimate problem??

TIA

Doug Agnew
DBA
Charlotte Pipe & Foundry
dagnew AT charlottepipe DOT com

{As always, opinions stated herein are mine alone ......}